Glade® PlugIns® Electric Home Fragrance Devices and House Fires

Glade® PlugIns® Fire Hazard
(please see official company response below)

Received from a friend who is in the property insurance business. It is well worth reading.

This is one of those e-mails that if you don’t send it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for not reading it. The original message was written by a lady whose brother and wife learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news.

air-feshener-plug-inHowever, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom. She listed the normal things…curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her, ‘No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures’.. Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom.

The investigator had one of those ‘Aha’ moments. He said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.

Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on. That is a warning sign

The investigator said he personally wouldn’t have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many places that have been burned down due to them.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.

NOT ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE’S HOUSE, BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE’S LIFE.

reader submitted
Born Texan from Kyle, TX


Company response to internet rumor as published on http://www.scjohnson.com

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

SC Johnson Response to Internet Rumor about Glade® PlugIns®

Racine, Wis., March 11, 2008 – As a family company, SC Johnson takes very seriously the responsibility of providing consumers with high quality, safe and effective products. The company has recently learned that there are postings on the Internet claiming that Glade® PlugIns® products are linked to fires. Like all of the company’s products, Glade® PlugIns® are safe and effective when used as directed. Glade® PlugIns® have been sold for nearly 20 years and the millions of consumers using the product can continue to do so with complete confidence.

SC Johnson also knows that its products do not cause fires. Glade® PlugIns® products have been tested by Underwriters Laboratories and other independent laboratories. Additionally, all SC Johnson products meet or exceed safety requirements. SC Johnson continues to work closely with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to investigate allegations involving PlugIns® products.

SC Johnson is a family-owned and -managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, personal care and insect control. It markets such well-known brands as EDGE®, GLADE®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, ECHO®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, and MR. MUSCLE®. The 122-year old company, with more than $7.5 billion in sales, employs approximately 12,000 people globally and sells products in more than 110 countries.

For additional information, please visit www.scjohnson.com

You may also like...