Onions Absorb Flu Virus and Common Cold Bacteria

onions absorb flu and bacteriaIn 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu…
Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn’t believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder. I don’t know about the farmer’s story…but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill… I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs…sure enough it happened just like that…the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don’t know what to blame. Maybe it’s the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn’t eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed’s answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

“It doesn’t even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it’s not really necessary.” He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the ‘victim’ last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it’s not the mayonnaise (as long as it’s not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It’s probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it’s the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it’s not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It’s already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you’ll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you’re asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.

You may also like...

50 Responses

1. Jim Quince says:

from: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/virus

irus /vi·rus/ (vi´rus) [L.] a minute infectious agent which, with certain exceptions, is not resolved by the light microscope, lacks independent metabolism and is able to replicate only within a living host cell; the individual particle (virion) consists of nucleic acid (nucleoid)—DNA or RNA (but not both)—and a protein shell (capsid), which contains and protects the nucleic acid and which may be multilayered.

So, it is highly doubtful the farmer’s doctor could see the virus in his microscope.

• Heather Franklin says:

Agreed. Im in microbiology and to see a virus you need a serious microscope. One with atlease 100,000 mag.

2. Bob Tackett says:

The first article proves itself a lie, because the first flu virus wasn’t discovered until 1931.

• Cat Kind says:

@Bob – influenza has historically been here since Roman time and the word influenza is from the italian word for influence. The discovery in 1931 was made by Richard Shope who found the virus in pigs and dispelled the theory that the flu was caused by bacteria.

• emeraldprincess says:

The first flu virus may not have been discovered until 1931 however it was around for hundreds of years recycling itself in pandemics and so your your argument would be that because it had been pinpointed therefore didn’t exist?

• Anonymous says:

IKR ITS A LIE !!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous says:

I think people would have been aware of this horrible round of flu, they just didn’t have a name to put to the virus. Just because they didn’t have a name for it, doesn’t mean that they couldn’t do anything about it. They probably saw it as an advanced cold or something.

• Anonymous says:

it was discovered stupid. They dont know yet, what kind of sickness is it. LOL much.

• Ian says:

The point is that the doctor in the story is said to have looked at the onion under a microscope and seen the flu virus in the onion. Since the flu virus was unknown the article is stretching the truth.

• Susan says:

The Spanish Influenza pandemic hit the US in 1918.

• Anonymous says:

It doesn’t say they discovered it in 1919 just that it killed a lot of people.

• Christian says:

I guess nothing exists unless its discovered and named by science then. You do realize that when a scientist “supposedly” discovers something that already exists they name it after themselves. That is why people worship at the foot of science. It’s disingenuous to take credit for something you didn’t create and only discovered IMHO.

• Anonymous says:

Christian, if that’s the case, I’ll blame all of man’s diseases on God.

3. Eric says:

Just was reading up on this. First the flu virus wasn’t able to be seen by a microscope until 1931 when the first electron microscope was invented so the doctor in 1919 wouldn’t have been able to see the virus. Second the onion when cut produces sulfuric acid and that alone will not allow it grow bacteria. Everyone needs to do some research on this to learn that a cut onion will not grow bacteria due to the acidic properties that it contains. Yes commercial mayo can be kept out of the refrigerator and that is due to the pH level that inhibits bacteria growth.

• Matt says:

My son put sliced onion in a petry dish with agar and we have bacteria for a science project . He used several varieties and swabbed cell phones and put it in a dark warm room for a week and it grew we have pictures of it . The red onion looked like it grew some and rotted the yellow grew a lot and the just a little

• Matt says:

I sliced onion and put it in a petry dish with agar and we have bacteria for a science project . I used several varieties and swabbed cell phones and put it in a dark warm room for a week and it grew we have pictures of it . The red onion looked like it grew some and rotted the yellow grew a lot and the. White just a little

4. Wiscogit8r says:

I learned in college in the early 60s that viruses cannot be seen using the ordinary light microscope; that requires using an electron microscope. Google when that was developed, and its cost. No ordinary doctor could have afforded that. For over 45 years I have routinely used half an onion, (not chopped) leftover, stored either wrapped in waxed paper or in a clean baggie in the refrigerator for even several days, for further consumption. When stored, the onion has to be clean–free from black fungus and free of banged-up spots, reasonably dry and stored promptly after cutting. Granted I cooked it. Our large family never got sick. As a retired biology teacher, I suggest a trial! Gasp! Anyone who uses common sanitation sense in keeping a clean kitchen, and has a decent refrigerator, and keeps prying hands out of the wrapped onion, can do it!

5. Chris says:

Whoever wrote this article needs to brush up on their general knowledge. ‘Bacteria’ and ‘viruses’ are entirely different things!

6. dihard says:

As this site proclaims, “Don’t believe everything you are told!” Both store-bought mayo (as well as home-made mayo) and onions can eventually provide a place for bacteria to grow. While the acid content of both may slow the growth down, bacteria will still grow. Flu is caused by a virus, not bacteria.

• Heather Franklin says:

Bacteria actually like an acidic pH (acidophiles). It’s a pH of 11.5-14 they can’t handle (basic)

7. james says:

Thank you very much for posting this! I hate seeing the pseudoscience being paraded around like the truth and now I can point directly to this!

8. Lia says:

I don’ t think that you can “contact pneumonia” – contract pneumonia maybe, LOL.

9. t says:

I wonder how many people have cut onions all around their house

10. rajesh chand says:

Hi
    just wanted to know which onion to peel the red one or the white and should keep the same peel onion for few nights or just one? Thanks to alk

11. Lisa Harrington says:

All I want to know, in plain english, is whether a virus or a bacteria can be “attracted” to [or land on] an average white onion? If so, what are the rates of attachment [time vs multitudes present in the air of a room etc.] and can this be shown in any kind of research graph?

NO ONE has actually given any real “test” proof it doesn’t absorb bacteria or viruses. All I have seen is articles and comments with no solid truth to answer and back up the questions I pose.

Matt said he did some school science type tests, why can’t some one else with some agar do some tests too to back him up or explain in more detail?

If I leave an average half cut white onion, peeled in a bowl, lying around the kitchen for a week, it starts to look dehydrated and the inner rings start to pop out from the middle. Then it grows a little bit of brown moldy stuff [in a spot about the size of 4 keyboard keys] on the cut edge towards the uncut end and by that time I find it and throw it out!
    Has it done some good in my kitchen? Has it kept some bacteria or viruses? I don’t know. There seems to be no real proof.

I don’t care about when someone thinks a flu was discovered – since humans existed I would say. I don’t care about what microscope could be afforded or what kind some Doctor might have had. I want up to date facts not bickering!

12. jennifer says:

Greetings my dear friend, I just wish to have you as friend, if you care though i have good reason to seek for your interest, here is my email where you can contact me for easiest communication (nelsonjennifer@hotmail.fr) or you can give me your email address so that i can contact you please i am waiting to see your Message in my E- mail Address Miss Jennifer

13. Emanuel Chavez says:

Imagine if an onion can cure, absorb and prevent people from getting sick what’s to stop the Drug companies T.R.D.D (The Real Drug Dealers) from stopping it from getting out…

14. Andy says:

I tried to contact pneumonia, she hooked me!

15. Liz Villafañe says:

To all of you who thinks this is a lie, let me tell you something. I have been doing this since the last 5 years. I used to have not one flu, but 3 every year since I was born, that kept me in bed for 2 weeks every time. I don’t get it anymore and this is my 5th year without medications, antibiotics or even flu shots. Simply my husband and I never get sick again. I bet all of you who said is a lie are doctors, but I understand, you don’t want people to find out and realize this, because is not good for your pocket. But a lot of friends I know including myself, we can testifies this is totally true.
    Happy and Helthier Hollidays to all!

• Debbie says:

Liz,
      How do you cut the onion, and where and how do you store it in the room?
      Thanks

• Lauren says:

When anyone in my family has a fever I cut a piece of onion and put it by the bed, fever is gone. I’ve done it with my son not even knowing it was there and it worked. For the skeptics keep doing what you are doing. All I know is that it works for fever and probably works for colds/flu too.

• michele says:

How often do you change them out for new ones? More often if someone is sick and you place it by bed?

16. I agree with liz, first of all i love onions i,ve been eating them whole like an apple since i was 4 years old i just love them i hardly ever get sick onions lay around the house all the time try it before you knock it chris;)

17. Bobbie says:

This is true cutting onions in half and laying them all around my home and we are not gettin sick

18. Bobbie says:

And a lady whom I worked with had ibs and she had onions at work and all over her home she never got sick ever

19. fresh are always best i cut up and onion every three days

20. J says:

I had three grandparents die in 1918 from the flu epidemic. This is documented and one of them was even the first person to die in his county so it is medically documented.

21. Pam Wood says:

Very informative and I will defiantly carry this with me next time I eat or don’t eat onion. Thank you for the info.

• no problem ! onions are just healthy my parents could not believe i ate them at a young age just like an apple then i cut them up and added vinegar im 50 now and hardly ever get sick.

22. mr.chickenman says:

i just want to know whats in the onion that stops virus?

23. mr.chickenman says:

TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO

24. mr.chickenman says:

HELP ME SOMEONE ANSWER ME I NEED TO KNOW FOR MY SCIENCE FAIR WHATS IN THE ONION THAT STOPS THE FLU

25. POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP says:

HI

26. Anonymous says:

if it absorbs so many things, then why doesn’t it absorb stuff while it’s in your body? :)

27. Anon says:

A lot of talk about science. Did the author(s) carry out the experiment using persons who were sick? No. Conclusions are made based on argument and not on emperical data – live (sick) specimens.
    Think, think, think

28. Anonymous says:

To those who don’t believe , I believe we all get sick one day so why don’t you try it yourself once before making further comments.

29. Smitha914 says:

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks dgddbcgedecfkfed