A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair on January 26.
In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical “dihydrogen monoxide.” And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:
1. Cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. It is a major component in acid rain
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you
5. It contributes to erosion
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 150 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
One hundred forty-three said yes
Six were undecided
Only one knew that the chemical was…
The title of his prize winning project was, “How Gullible Are We?”
He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the spreading fear of everything in our environment.
The conclusion is obvious.
Steve McCauley from Vallejo, CA