The Wizard of Oz Hanging Munchkin Scene

A friend told me that in one scene of the Wizard of Oz you can see someone ‘hang’ themselves from a tree in the background.

Well, the "dead person hanging in the background" rumor is popular, but untrue. What the "hanging person" actually is a film crew person who got caught in the shot and quickly ran off the set.

It’s kind of hard to see, but it never did get cut out. I guess the hanging person legend has too much flare to die down.

The video clip in question appears below:

MGM proclaimed at the time of filming, that they had rented 300 birds from ZOO PARK, in Los Angeles, so that the director could select an appropriate few for the background atmosphere amidst the trees.

Among the birds were: golden pheasants, a South American toucan, an African crane and a Saurus crane.

A few of these birds managed to escape and appeared in various shots throughout the filming of THE WIZARD OF OZ.

One of these incidents occurred in the scene discussed here.

The explanation given is that it was one of the larger birds on that particular set that creates the illusion of a person hanging!

Reference: http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/hanging.htm

You may also like...

35 Responses

1. carolynn says:

oh i never really noticed that

• eska says:

I think it might be real well………..

i have never herd the ledgend before so i dont know!!!!!!!!

2. SlimShady says:

i dont know….it looks like someone hanging

3. Non believer says:

This is BS,
    look on youtube & you can clearly see this is a fake

• Kat says:

its not fake but its not a person hanging themselves its a bird

• Eska Bauman says:

OF CORSE YOU ARE WRONG IT IS REAL IT WAS A HANING MUNCHKIN IT IS A TRUE LEGEND IT IS NOT A BIRD

• Samantha says:

ACTUALLY, it CANT BE! the “trees” arent even real its a backdrop you really thought they were trees? they look so fake. And whoever wrote this article is ALSO wrong. it was not a guy, all of the sound aquipptment was hung above the back drop and a mic just fell thats why it was swinging.

4. Anonymous says:

I don’t see it. :-/

5. Whinifried says:

No YOU’RE ALL WRONG IT’S ME RUNNING NAKED THROUGH THE WOODS MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6. Kathy says:

lol that could be true!!!!!!

7. Anonymous says:

Ha ha ha

8. Dev says:

Who the hell pay attention to little stuff like that in movies….

9. Without A Name says:

The OIL in Tin Man’s Oil can is actually Chocolate syrup because oil doesn’t film well.
    The original Wicked Witch was killed in the trap door used in the witch’s death scene “I’m melting, melting!” and because steam was used, it actually burned her alive.
    The SECOND witch was a first grade teacher in real life! ;D

• Kaity says:

The original Wicked Witch was NOT killed. The people making the film thought she was far too beautiful to play a witch that is supposed to be hideous. They replaced her with the Wicked Witch we all know and love today.

10. Anonymous says:

The munchkin hanging himself is true.
    If you watch the VERY original movie, the actor IS hanging himself in the back.
    Then watch the next version. They put a bird in to cover the shadow.

11. J says:

All of these comments are funny. Not one is true. It was a bird! The munchkins were not even there when this part was filmed. All of the munchkins scenes were filmed last after everything else was done.

12. Ashley says:

I saw someone hanging but also I did see someeone go on film but then quickly left the scene in the background!

13. Mack Daddy says:

??? How come I have never seen this before?

14. Anon says:

They already explained it yet all of you are going, “Well i dunno if its real lol”. Its not.

15. ashley says:

rumor is true. this is the EDITED version, they replaced the body with something else after realizing what had happened. you can see the body in the vhs version as well.

16. Madison says:

It is a freckling bord

17. VampGirl says:

It just looks like a bad paint job to me.

18. Mudkip lieks you says:

Omfg!! It’s a munchkin- bird! :D

19. cliff says:

This is true int the pre remastered version of the wizard of oz with dorothy hamlin I beilve is the orginal actress set to play dorothy

20. the point of this article=????????

21. anonymous says:

This article explains that the hanging munchkin is in fact a bird but this conculsion is based on the second version of the scene in which they replaced the hanging munchkin by a bird. It was done so in order to make people believe that it has always been a bird, in both the new and original scene, but it is not the case. You can clearly see someone hanging in the background of the original scene:

22. just here for a little fun says:

ON the video they have for there site at the end of the video you can see Miley Cyrus some one else song I picked it and it let me here the song in fact I’m herring the song right now xD

23. MLP says:

Actually, this is the 2nd version of the movie (re-edited, right?). In the first one, I never noticed the “hanging munchkin” until I watched a YouTube video called, “Most Paused Moments in Television”. I’ve been obsessed ever since! But now I’m really confused – everyone keeps saying that the munchkins weren’t at the set when they filmed this scene. So maybe, in the 1st version, it was someone from the cast or crew hanging themselves. I mean, since they were seen at a distance, this person could’ve simply been interpreted as a munchkin. You know, I’ve always wondered: did they only make another Wizard of Oz movie just because of the hanging rumor? But great article, thanks!